CS6620 - Ray Tracing for Graphics

Nidal Ilyas

Project 14 - Teapot Rendering Competition

Hardware Information

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

32 GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

10^7 Photons
Render Time : 16:07 mins
The following rendered image uses Photon Mapping for Direct and Indirect light. I did the implementation
for using Photon mapping only for indirect light but the output I got did not look as good as the one I have
with Photon Mapping for both. I might have missed some steps but I didn't want to spend more time on the implementation when I should be focusing on the scene.
I also did not use path tracing as my previous implementation of path tracing had some noise and Photon mapping looked a lot better to me when compared to path tracing.

The Stormtrooper model was taken from tf3dm.com. His pose is inspired from Deadpool's posture in the new Deadpool movie poster. You can check it out here :
http://screencrush.com/442/files/2015/03/deadpool-movie-costume-pic-2.jpg

I was trying a lot to get the scene right, trying out different things into the scene to see what my Raytracer can or cannot support. Some obj models were giving out some weird shadows, whereas in some it was perfectly alright. I tried adding a lot of textures.
Finally I found this wooden tile texture that I really liked. I was going to do something else with this scene but as I saw this texture applied to the scene I did not feel like changing it. I wanted to use this. I used Adaptive sampling from 100 to 1000 samples per pixel.
The back wall isn't reflective, it was reflective initially but that created a blurry image of the teapot because of the reflection in the back wall. The stormtrooper obj model was changed into that posture by a tech artist, Shahbaz Sekhon from EAE.
The Teapot object model was the same one Cem had given us for our previous assignments.

10^7 Photons
Render Time : 28:08 mins

The following image can be considered as a bit weird and a bit blurry, but I kinda like it. Arranging the spheres took a while, a bit of trial and error too. There are 71 spheres in the scene each having it's own reflection. Initially the walls had reflection too but i removed it as it looked good in a random and weird way. So I removed the reflections on the walls but kept it only for the back wall. The following is the scene with reflections on all walls

This is the same scene with only reflection on the spheres and the back wall. The light is emanating from the teapot or is positioned at the teapot. The textures are wooden textures with RGB components on each of the adjacent walls.

To Summarize the whole experience of making a scene as a lot more hectic than adding a rendering capability. Creating the right type of scene takes a lot of time and it's bit uncertain as well, and you'd have to know what works and what doesn't in terms of light, whereas adding a new feature to the ray tracer was about either you know how it works or you don't. But overall, I got to learn a lot during this class and I'm quite satisfied with with what I learned and what I was able to implement.